Jim Hovland is a dedicated lawyer who has served clients for more than 42 years. Jim’s substantial business, public sector and legal experience provides clients with a highly qualified advocate who is committed to crafting innovative solutions and helping his clients succeed. Clients appreciate his approachable and collaborative style.
Jim infuses the firm with a tradition of public service and integrity. His tenure as the Mayor of Edina offers him unique experience working with a wide spectrum of individuals, businesses, and agencies. As a dynamic community leader, Jim currently serves as Chair of the Municipal Legislative Commission, Co-Chair of the Regional Council of Mayors and Chair of the Transportation Advisory board to the Metropolitan Council. Jim has also served as the President of the Edina Community Foundation. He is a member of the the Edina Morningside Rotary Club, and the Edina Chamber of Commerce.
Jim earned his bachelor’s degree at the University of North Dakota, and his law degree at the University of Colorado. He is a member of the Minnesota State Bar Association.
Minnesota Supreme Court; U.S. District Court of Minnesota; North Dakota Supreme Court; Federal District Court for the district of North Dakota; U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth, Eighth and Ninth Circuits.
Edina City Council (1997-2005)
Mayor of Edina (2005-present)
- Co-Chair, Regional Council of Mayors
- Transportation Advisory Board (TAB) to the Met Council (Chair)
- SW LRT Corridor Management Committee
- SW LRT Community Works Steering Committee – Vice Chair
- Municipal Legislative Commission – (Chair – present)
- MSP Export Initiative – committee member
- Greater MSP Partner Advisory Council
• Edina Community Foundation (Board Member – current)
• Edina Morningside Rotary Club